Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Stop Making It So Easy, Gwyneth!


So, in a recent interview, Gwyneth Paltrow explained away her critics, detractors and downright haters by saying this:
“I think my work ethic is the reason why I'm successful. I think that a lot of people don't want to put in effort and it's easier to not change, not do something good for you, not work on your relationship, not make yourself a meal, not work out. [They're just] pissed off at someone else doing that.”
Turns out, that is not a great way to make friends and influence people.
You might upset the commoners.

It’s not that Gwynnie is without achievement.  She’s an Oscar winning actress, cookbook author, and budding singer.  Not to mention a deliriously happy wife and mother of two.
Oh, and did I forget to include that she is also the proud parent of a website that offers it’s readers advice about what to cook, where to go, what to buy, what to do, and what to see?  Micromanage your supporters much?

She seems to think that with a little hard work and gumption, these things are attainable for everybody.  If we would just get off our collective asses and stop focusing our attention on bitching about her.  (And for Cripes sake, do a colon cleanse once in a while you nasty bitches!)
The thing is, when you’re born on third base and helped along in your acting career by your ‘Uncle Steven” (Spielberg,) in your foray into publishing by ‘Dad’ (famous TV director Bruce Paltrow,) and nudged forward to a singing stint by the ‘hubs’ (Coldplay frontman Chris Martin,) it’s kinda hard to hit a foul.

All that aside, I think the worst offense is that she’s applauding herself for working out, cooking healthy family meals, juggling her career and raising her children in a nurturing environment.  Isn’t that what the rest of us do every day?  Without nannies?
Alas, she takes her critics with a grain of salt because, according to her, 
“We live in a world now where everybody is able to express their opinion, and If everyone has an opinion then no one has an opinion. Ultimately, it's not about me.”
So if we’re not born into fame and/or wealth and have the audacity to express our opinion, it ruins it for the rest of you.  Well played, Gwyneth.  Well played.
I may not be ‘better’ than Gwyneth - my kids eat the occasional Happy Meal, I am known for running out the door without a proper preening, and most days the only exercise I get is in the form of vacuuming and making beds.


But at least I’ve never called my dead grandmother a c*nt. ***


(***her comment is about 4 mins in)

5 comments:

  1. She is not my favorite person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very succinctly put, Stacey, and I agree. My favorite person is Abe Vigoda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I thought this was a great post. While I agree that it's people's natural reaction to be jealous of others who DO make themselves go to the gym, and who DO make themselves eat healthy, it's true that normal people do not have personal chefs and personal trainers. Sometimes I really think these celebrities' perceptions on reality are so skewed.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had a staff of minions to do my bidding, then I'd be 'the prettiest
    girl in the world...'

    ReplyDelete

Even the shortest comment assures me that people other than my sister are reading this...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...